Train for a job in healthcare that you can be proud of.
Sonora Quest Laboratories (SQL)/Laboratory Sciences of Arizona (LSA) offers on-the-job phlebotomy training through its hospital-based apprenticeship. Candidates can earn income as they train. Candidates can earn income while they gain real-world experience and essential skills needed to begin their healthcare career as a Phlebotomy Technician, including:
- Collect biological specimens, like drawing blood by venipuncture, syringe, and micro-collection techniques.
- Prepare specimen samples for laboratory testing and analysis.
- Assemble and maintain medical instruments such as needles, test tubes, blood vials, and centrifuges.
- Ensure correct labeling and data entry for patient specimens.
- Provide exceptional care and put patients at ease during procedures.
Process to Apply for the Hospital-Based Apprenticeship
- Apply for an open phlebotomy position based in a hospital location by visiting www.sonoraquest.com/careers.
- Interview for the position.
- Accept the offer and complete the onboarding and non-phlebotomy training (2-3 weeks).
- Begin the on-the-job phlebotomy training apprenticeship and learn from experienced instructors who care about your success.
Program materials include a phlebotomy course book and study guides, along with as needed prep classes.
Requirements to Complete Apprenticeship
• Complete coursework, training, and 25 successful sticks (approximately 2 weeks).
• Start apprenticeship at the hiring hospital’s location and complete the following:
o 120 hours and 75 successful sticks.
o Midpoint site visit with hospital lab leaders.
o Mandatory national certification (must register and pass certification within 10-12 months).
o SQL/LSA pays for 1st attempt; candidate must pay for 2nd attempt, if needed.
• Upon successful completion of 120 hours, national certification, and 100 successful sticks, the candidate will receive a pay increase of $1/hour and be moved to a Phlebotomy I position with a 1-year commitment.
Benefits of working at SQL/LSA
- Great medical & dental options
- Financial planning & bonuses
- Tuition assistance & resources
- Training & career development
- Paid hospital-based phlebotomy apprenticeship for those without experience