Sonora Quest Laboratories' top priority is always the health and safety of our patients, employees, and the communities we serve.
- Sonora Quest Laboratories offers COVID-19 antibody testing. Click here for detailed information.
- We continue to offer diagnostic COVID-19 testing. Please see the information below for details.
- For assistance with determining what test is right for you, please download our COVID-19 testing overview or visit SonoraQuest.com/OrderCovid to learn about options to order your own COVID-19 testing without an order from a healthcare provider. For additional information on testing, please see below.
Important Information for Patients:
We appreciate your cooperation in ensuring everyone’s safety when visiting a Sonora Quest Patient Service Center
- As we are following CDC guidance, please wear a mask or face covering in our Patient Service Centers (bandanna or handmade mask is acceptable)
- If you do not have a mask, talk to the front desk staff and kindly maintain six feet of distance
- Please avoid bringing minors and guests with you whenever possible. Guests with you that are not minors or needed for support in specimen collection should plan to wait outside of the lobby area in support of safe social distancing.
- If you have a specimen to drop off, take it to the front desk immediately
Information Regarding COVID-19 Testing for Active Infection
On March 20, 2020, Sonora Quest began to provide COVID-19 testing at its main laboratory in Phoenix.
Part of our commitment is to help you get answers to the many questions you have about the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and to make sure you know that you must go to your doctor for testing, if you have any reason to suspect you have COVID-19.
Who should get tested?
It’s important to reach out to your doctor immediately if you have any reason to suspect you have COVID-19 or are exhibiting signs as stated by the CDC. If COVID-19 testing makes sense for you, your doctor will collect your specimen (for example, nose or throat swab). Your respiratory specimens will then be sent to a lab, such as Sonora Quest, for advanced testing. Your doctor will contact you with your results or you can obtain them through our Patient Results Portal.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends calling your doctor if you:
- Experience symptoms (fever, cough, shortness of breath)
- Have been in close contact with a person with COVID-19
- Have recently traveled from an area with a widespread outbreak
Don’t wait. Early detection means you can take precautions right away to limit the spread of the illness to those around you.
Where to get your sample collected for testing
If you suspect you may have COVID-19, contact your doctor immediately. Your doctor will review your symptoms to determine if COVID-19 testing for active infection is needed. If COVID-19 testing makes sense for you, your doctor will collect your specimen (for example, a nasopharyngeal swab). Your respiratory specimen will be sent to a lab, such as Sonora Quest, for advanced testing.
Sonora Quest Laboratories now offers observed nasal swab self-collections options based on symptom status. Patients who have COVID-19 symptoms or recent exposure can schedule “COVID-19 – Symptoms/Exposure (Carside)” appointments at select Patient Service Center locations. Beginning November 18, 2020, patients without symptoms or exposure can schedule “COVID-19 – (No Symptoms – Confirm Negative Status)” appointments, which will be available at most Sonora Quest Patient Service Centers.
Additionally, the Arizona Department of Health Services (AzDHS) web page provides a listing of collection sites for COVID-19 diagnostic testing locations that can provide sample collection.
Furthermore, in collaboration with Quest Diagnostics, Sonora Quest Laboratories has partnered with CVS Health to launch drive-thru testing for SARS-CoV-2 via their MinuteClinics, using pharmacists to oversee self-collected nasal swab specimens. CVS is now offering drive-thru testing at more than 60 locations in Arizona. Patients must register in advance at CVS.com to schedule an appointment.
Sonora Quest has partnered with select Phoenix-area Walmart locations to offer observed self-collections for COVID-19 diagnostic testing. Please note that in order to schedule a drive-thru appointment at participating Walmart locations, your doctor must place an electronic order for diagnostic COVID-19 testing. Click here to schedule.
How COVID-19 testing works
If COVID-19 testing makes sense for you, your doctor will collect your specimen (for example, nose or throat swab). Your respiratory specimens will then be sent to a lab, such as Sonora Quest, for advanced testing. Your doctor will contact you with your results.
COVID-19 or the flu? Symptoms of COVID-19 mimic the flu, but it’s important to take either illness very seriously. Speak with your doctor to determine if your symptoms call for COVID-19 or flu testing.
Simple steps for prevention
Protect yourself and your loved ones from COVID-19 with simple prevention methods. The CDC recommends that you:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Stay home when you are sick
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces
- Wash your hands often with soap and water