February is National Hearth Month, and this year its the 56th consecutive year of it’s observance. The goal of heart month is to raise awareness of heart disease – which is the leading cause of death in the U.S. (CDC).
CDC Heart Health Facts:
- Heart disease kills more people than all forms of cancer combined.
- Heart attacks affect more people every year than the population of Dallas, Texas.
- 83% believe that heart attacks can be prevented but aren’t motivated to do anything.
- 72% of Americans don’t consider themselves at risk for heart disease.
- And 58% put no effort into improving their heart health.
The most common factors that affect heart health are high blood pressure, smoking, and high blood cholesterol. There are ways that you can control or prevent heart disease. Some of the things that you can do are more physical activity, being active for 30 minutes a day can make a difference in your health. Changing your eating habits is also a way to prevent heart disease. Adding more fruit and vegetables on your plate and keeping sodium low helps to keep your heart healthy. Two other easy things you can do are not smoking and managing chronic conditions.
Sonora Quest wants to help you learn more about your cardiovascular condition and you can do so by visiting SonoraQuest.com/Heart. You can learn about all the tests you can order on your own without a doctor’s order or insurance to manage your health.