Friday, June 15, 2018 | Category: Media Coverage
In early May, Tucson caregiver Volodymyr Kotsur was feeling terrible — he had a fever, cough and was tired all the time.
Health providers at a local urgent care center put Kotsur on penicillin and gave him allergy medicine, but as the days passed he only felt worse. Kotsur, 65, worried he could be contagious and wondered whether he should be going to work and playing with his grandchildren.
On May 30 — 21 days after his symptoms began — he was diagnosed with the respiratory disease valley fever.
Kotsur had never heard of valley fever. It’s virtually unheard of in his native Ukraine.