Our Genetics/Genomics Division, formerly known as Palo Verde Laboratory, is located within the Sonora Quest Laboratories Core Facility in Tempe, Arizona. We are accredited by the College of American Pathologists (CAP) and licensed by the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA). We are one of only two local Children’s Oncology Group (COG) certified reference cytogenetic laboratories in Phoenix. The COG provides annual updates for all submitted, newly-diagnosed ALL samples. Our COG cytogenetic abnormality rate came in at 100% for years 2012 and 2013 (compared to the national average of the other COG-certified labs at 77.3%).
Our laboratory is staffed by three American Board of Medical Genetics and Genomics (ABMGG) certified PhD’s and 35 highly trained cytogenetic technologists, most of whom are certified by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) as specialists in cytogenetics.
We offer the following cytogenetic services to health care providers in Phoenix and the surrounding areas:
- High quality chromosomal analyses on amniotic fluid, chorionic villus samples (CVS), products of conception, peripheral blood, cord blood, bone marrow, lymph node, fresh tumor samples and skin biopsies.
- Molecular cytogenetic analyses by fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) for aneuploidy, microdeletion/microduplication syndromes, marker chromosome identification, translocation characterization, subtelomeric losses and rearrangements, mosaicism screening, and X/Y sex chromosome complement for sex-mismatched stem cell transplantation.
- Oncology FISH panels are available for ALL, AML, MDS, CLL, lymphoma, multiple myeloma, and bladder cancer.
- FISH testing using formalin-fix paraffin-embedded (FFPE) tissue is available for lung cancer including ALK and ROS1 FISH, the high and low grade lymphomas, common sarcomas, breast cancer HER2 status, and myeloid neoplasms with eosinophilia.
- Constitutional microarray analysis using Affymetrix CytoScan HD oligonucleotide-SNP platform is available for detecting multiple congenital anomalies, intellectual disabilities/developmental delay, autism, and other neurocognitive disorders. The high resolution microarray contains over 2.67 million probes, including 1.9 million copy number probes and 750 thousand SNP probes.
- New molecular tests including BCR/ABL quantitative assay, and JAK2 and EGFR mutation analysis.
- Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) solid tumor assay on FFPE samples is available. This assay uses the Thermo Fisher Oncomine Focus product which includes 50 actionable genes. The workflow enables concurrent DNA/RNA analysis for mutation, copy number variant, and fusion detection. There are 4 panels available for ordering including Lung cancer (24 genes), colorectal cancer (6 genes), melanoma (11 genes) and complete tumor (50 genes).
We continually add new molecular cytogenetic assays to our testing menu. Please refer to our Cytogenetics, FISH & Molecular Test Menu or use our Searchable Test Menu for the most up-to-date information, specimen requirements, and turnaround times or call our Client Service Specialists at 602.685.5700, Monday-Friday from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.
- Become a Customer
- Provider Portal (Order Supplies & View/Pay Invoices)
- Anatomic/Clinical Pathology Services
- Quanum™ Solutions
- Genetics/Genomics Division
- ICD-10 Information
- Information for Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs)
- Laboratory Reference Materials
- Long Term Care Services
- Medicare Coverage Policies
Learn About Lab Tests
Get information about various types of laboratory tests for free, courtesy of Lab Tests Online.